Tuesday, January 6, 2009

David's 2nd birthday



Today is David's 2nd birthday. Unlike his first birthday, we decided to celebrate small with his cousins. Since I'm also on a budget, I decided to make my own cake, using cupcakes!

It's been a while since I baked anything, so I decided not to risk it and ordered cupcakes from the mom of my sister-in-law's friend at Php15 each. I got choco, choco banana, banana and carrot flavors from her. Thank goodness she agreed to make my cupcakes at the very last minute ( I was able to place my order at only 10pm last night!) We've tried her cupcakes before when they were distributed in sunday school and they're quite good, not dry. I got 30 pcs from her and added 10 more since she had baked extra and distributed them to my in-laws and my FIL's secretaries.

Since David loves Mickey Mouse, we decided to go with the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse theme. Their official website had some ideas and materials which can be printed out, so I altered their goody box and made them into cupcake toppers! I printed them out on PVC id material and stuck a bbq stick behind it.

I had earlier made Mickey bag tags for his Sunday School loot bags so I made a bigger one for his "cake" and die-cut foam with the words "Happy 2nd bday" and pasted it on the big Mickey icon.

For the cake border, I made smaller versions of the Mickey icon using my Sizzix die and Fiskars round puncher. I cut out Mickey pants using red cardstock and glued round foam as buttons. For the gloves, I had printed out an image of it and used it as a pattern. I used pentel pen for the lines on the gloves. I had planned to do the shoes also but I couldn't find a good image of it to serve as pattern and couldn't draw a good one so I decided to skip it.

For the base, I rummaged around the kitchen to find the white plastic round container which my MIL bought lots of, so I borrowed one. The 2nd layer was a tin can I had previously decorated.

I got so aliw making these I didn't realize it was already 2am! I was quite satisfied with the outcome, I told Austin, he would have a similar cake with the theme of his choice on his 11th birthday! haha!

2 comments:

Maybelle said...

April, bow talaga ako sa creativity mo! David's "cake" looks so good! I'm sure David was so excited when he saw it. Happy birthday to Shoti!

Lianne said...

Wow, April, you already have Christmas 2008 pages? Parang Christmas 2006 pa lang ako, hehehe. I love what you did with the "Make every day beautiful" page, cool use of colors. I especially love the photo block.